Pets-n-People

Go Back   Pets-n-People > Dog Forums > Dogs Healthcare, Nutrition, Grooming, Breeding & Physiology
Register Gallery FAQDonate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

lil orphans is a glorious beacon of lightlil orphans is a glorious beacon of lightlil orphans is a glorious beacon of lightlil orphans is a glorious beacon of lightlil orphans is a glorious beacon of light
Default Can antibiotics upset a dog's stomach?

Coco had a loose decayed tooth, and I was given 7 days of antibiotics for her. The first two days, I fed in the evening after she had eated and gave her a half a slice a cheese with the pill. The 3rd day I forgot the pill at night and gave it to her first thing this morning---later she refused to eat and vomited twice, but she ate her evening meal tonight. Now I don't know if it was giving it to her on an empty stomach which upset her or the antibiotic itself. Any ideas??? I haven't given it to her tonight and don't know if I should or not.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:19 PM
Ozzy & Jagger Rock!

KatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributor

Mood
Goldens Rule

Yes, those are very common reaction to antibiotics. I'd call the vet & tell them that you'd like to consider another antibiotic as Coco isn't able to keep food down while taking it. Or, ask if you should give it on a full or empty stomach. Poor thing.

Thank you for my gorgeous sig, Kimmi!
Photo Gallery Links My Goldens My Birmans

My dogs love everybody! I question that judgment.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Zoran

zoran is a name known to allzoran is a name known to allzoran is a name known to allzoran is a name known to allzoran is a name known to allzoran is a name known to all

Mood
Amused

I agree, been there. Had to change them. Was a long time ago, before my dogs were on raw, don't seem to need anything anymore.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:03 AM
VIP Donator

Candice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond repute

Mood
Party

Im not sure. i have no knowledge, hope she is ok
Old 08-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Scrumpy Jack's personal slave

Kimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributor

Mood
Dog Tired

I know that in humans the antibiotics can kill off some of the natural good bacteria in the gut, which are necessary for proper digestion and function of the digestive tract. It's incredibly common in humans for vomiting and loose stools to be part of the reaction to antibiotics as these bacteria are killed off.

Definitely contact your vet and ask their advice; they may suggest an alternative medication, or suggest feeding them with a meal etc. Or you can see how she is today/tomorrow; if she doesn't vomit again when you give the pill at the usual time, that would suggest to me that it's purely a timing thing that caused the upset tum

Hope she feels better soon

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that we aim high and miss it, but that we aim low and reach it"
~Michaelangelo

MS UK Awareness Week May 21-29 2011

Old 08-01-2008, 06:07 AM
PNPnut

CountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributor

Mood
Amazed

What they said.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

lil orphans is a glorious beacon of lightlil orphans is a glorious beacon of lightlil orphans is a glorious beacon of lightlil orphans is a glorious beacon of lightlil orphans is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the advice, she ate normally last night and I held the antibiotic, I am going to feed in a few minutes and will try it on a full stomach, if she still has problems will contact the vet for a different antibiotic for her. I really think she needs it because her front teeth are so bad (result of being a breeder) and will have to be pulled. Poor little thing, her tongue hangs out lopsided now. I am sure she licked her babies when she had them but she seems like she is only now learning how to use her tongue, ie licking her plate, your hand etc. It is a very tentative movement.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:03 AM
Ozzy & Jagger Rock!

KatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributor

Mood
Goldens Rule

Poor thing. I do hope she's on the mend soon. Good luck with keeping those meds down.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Coco didn't show any signs of stomach upset today, when I gave the antibiotic on a full stomach. So glad for her, she sure wasn't a happy pup yesterday.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Ozzy & Jagger Rock!

Mood
Goldens Rule

That's good to hear! Glad she's doing better today with her meds.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:48 PM
~~Surrounded by Dane-Angels~~

Dangels is a jewel in the roughDangels is a jewel in the rough

Antibiotics can, and often do cause stomach upset.... usually it's best to give antibiotics right after the dog has eaten.

Best of luck!
2001 - 2008.