Pets-n-People

Go Back   Pets-n-People > Dog Forums > Dogs — General Discussion
Register Gallery FAQDonate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Scrumpy Jack's personal slave

Kimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributor

Mood
Dog Tired

Default I think it's time to put my foot down...

...and take Scrumpy Jack away from my mum. The notion that it would encourage her to keep active and therefore stop her deteriorating mobility-wise has become laughable. I visited a while ago and heard mum use the excuse that he didn't need a walk "because it was a Saturday" That didn't last long, he soon got a walk despite the day it was after a stern chat. My dad now walks him about 3 times a week, which also wasn't the agreement; my dad's not a huge fan of the dog, never has been and so has never been involved in his care unless he absolutely has to.

I turned up yesterday morning, and the state he was in nearly had me in tears. His chin was smothered in blood where he'd had a good old scratch at it. His paws are scabby again, and the scab under his front leg is back again, too. I'd managed to keep this under relative control when he was with me; daily foot baths after walks, regular Malaseb baths and Savlon on his chin if it bled with the cone straight on so he couldn't get to it. His chin is worse because his nails, which I've been on at my mum about for months, are so long they're like talons and are probably the reason he limps occasionally. I think they're pushing back painfully when he walks and putting pressure on his pads. I've lost count of how many times I've asked mum to check with his groomer that they get cut.

Which also leads to the issue of walking...the nail issue is a relatively new one, and I'm convinced it's because they're not being worn down by long walks on concrete/pavement etc. I also think he's not getting walked enough, getting bored/frustrated and that's why the scratching and foot chewing is so prevalent. We took him out for less than half an hour last night and at first he was super-hyped, excited etc...and then by the end of it he was dragging behind us, exhausted. When he stayed with us he slept a lot, too tired to really fuss about chewing anything; he was also with me all the time so I could keep an eye on him. Mum leaves him downstairs and goes upstairs to work, so although there's someone home he's virtually alone.

Sorry it's all so scattered, I'm trying to get it all down, a bit of a mini vent I think. What do you guys all think? Am I making things look worse to myself to try and justify getting him back? Are these issues really issues at all?

Any and all opinions welcome

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that we aim high and miss it, but that we aim low and reach it"
~Michaelangelo

MS UK Awareness Week May 21-29 2011

Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Nothing is Ever Easy

blackrose has a reputation beyond reputeblackrose has a reputation beyond reputeblackrose has a reputation beyond reputeblackrose has a reputation beyond reputeblackrose has a reputation beyond reputeblackrose has a reputation beyond reputeblackrose has a reputation beyond reputeblackrose has a reputation beyond reputeblackrose has a reputation beyond reputeblackrose has a reputation beyond reputeblackrose has a reputation beyond repute

Mood
Dog Lover

I would definitely say those are issues. IMO, keeping your dog free of pain is a very important part of owning said dog - and allowing a dog's allergies/nails/condition to get so out of control is a failure on the owner's part and akin to neglect in my mind. If your parents aren't willing to care for him in that way, I would take him back in a heartbeat.
Blackie: 1/18/96-3/9/10 * Rose: 10/2/98 - 5/10/13 Casey: 1/26/05-11/1/10 * Ruben: 12/4/06-9/22/11 * Rinnie: 12/4/07-5/23/12 * Dameon: 1/6/06 - 12/24/12
Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 AM

Kimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributorKimmikins is a priceless PNP contributor

Mood
Dog Tired

I just doubt myself, and wonder would his allergies have flared up here, too and he'd have still looked like that...but because he's with mum I'm using it as an excuse? It's so hard for me; if mum didn't have the MS then he'd be here in a flash. It just makes it extra complicated...but I know I should be doing what's best for SJ. But she's my mum, and her life's been turned on it's head and I don't want to upset her unnecessarily....*sigh* so tricky. It's why I need the outside opinions.

A lot of it in laziness on her part, I think...that and she doesn't notice things like I do. She's just a bit clueless!

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that we aim high and miss it, but that we aim low and reach it"
~Michaelangelo

Old 02-15-2012, 11:18 AM
PNPnut

CountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributor

Mood
Amazed

I only have what is in this thread to go so take my comment from that angle. If Scrumpy was left with your mom to cheer her up and get her more mobile and it isn't working but his health is going downhill why not forget about the mobility and get her a pet that doesn't require as much care and that will be more enjoyable for her?

Then you can take Scrumpy Jack back and give him all the attention that he needs.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 AM

Mood
Dog Tired

I honestly think a cat would be better suited for her; there for a snuggle but independent enough that if you're not paying it attention it'll go catch mice or something...yeh, I'm not knowledgeable about cats so that's my vision of them! If only dad would approve (he hates cats)

Or, me and Tim up sticks, move back down, take SJ back and get another dog and mum helps care for them when we're at work. That way, she still has dogs in her life, but she can play grandparent and give them back when she's bored. That's my current vision for the near future. I just have to find a new job to accommodate.

~Michaelangelo

Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Hound lover <3

Sarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributor

Mood
Pawsitive

That sounds an ideal situation Kimmi.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Ozzy & Jagger Rock!

KatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributor

Mood
Goldens Rule

I agree with everything said on this thread. He deserves better care & she's not going to give it to him. She needs to focus on her own health & a different pet or part-time pet would be more suited to her at this time.

Good luck, I hope you're able to get him back in shape soon.

Thank you for my gorgeous sig, Kimmi!
• Photo Gallery Links • My Goldens • My Birmans •

My dogs love everybody! I question that judgment.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 AM
VIP Donator

Candice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond reputeCandice07 has a reputation beyond repute

Mood
Party

Aww no hope you can get him back kimmi.

He is your dog afterall, and if its not helping her get mobile anyway, there is no point and you seem like you can get his allergies under control and look after him alot better.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:29 PM
clever to the lever

Mutt-tastic is just really niceMutt-tastic is just really niceMutt-tastic is just really nice

I've been away for some time and I don't know the back story but in the best interests of the dog he needs to be with someone who can adhere to his little terrier needs. A bored terrier is NOT a happy terrier. I know she's your mother but maybe a lap dog like a chi would be better suited to their lifestyle?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:28 PM

Mood
Dog Tired

I just don't think a dog suits my parent's lifestyle at all! It was fine when I was at home, they'd go galavanting on holiday and I'd be at home with him because I was at uni and therefore had no life Now it's fine when they're at home...in the winter....when they're not spending New Year's in Thailand. But in the summer they have a motor boat and like to spend weekends away and SJ becomes a tie. Or go out and see friends (read, get drunk with friends) and again he becomes a tie that needs feeding and doesn't get walked.

Mum loves having him, and will do anything for him in terms of vet care etc. She's just lazy and I have to prod her to do things like get his nails done, or nag the vet for something, or get him groomed, or walk him on a weekend.

I do have the cutest pic of him, though, mum finally got his nails done and bought him some, um, lets say "accessories"

~Michaelangelo

Old 02-19-2012, 06:43 PM
clever to the lever

Mutt-tastic is just really niceMutt-tastic is just really niceMutt-tastic is just really nice

If she doesn't want the poor thing, then you should take him!! Being able to afford a dog is one thing, wanting to love one and not feel burdened by it is another. Bless , and I'd love to see this picture!!