Pets-n-People

Go Back   Pets-n-People > Dog Forums > Dogs Healthcare, Nutrition, Grooming, Breeding & Physiology
Register Gallery FAQDonate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 04:55 PM
The not very bright one.

satalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud of

Mood
Woof

Default How do you stop a dog licking its stitches?

hey
Chewie made it through his operation (minus his balls, lol) thevet didnt have to dig around much but it did cost a fortune.
He is in pain now as I think the pain killers have worn off
One quesion though.......
we dont have a head bucket (elizabethan collar), and he sleeps in the kitchen, any ideas on what we can do to stop him licking/nibbling his stitching.
Im tempted to make my boyf go off and buy a head bucket, Im just so scared of leaving my poor little man.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Ozzy & Jagger Rock!

KatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributor

Mood
Goldens Rule

I'd make sure to get a dogsitter to make sure he doesn't mess with his stitches & run off to the nearest pet store to pick one up if at all possible. Do you have somebody who can come sit with him until you return?

Thank you for my gorgeous sig, Kimmi!
Photo Gallery Links My Goldens My Birmans

My dogs love everybody! I question that judgment.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:00 PM
The not very bright one.

satalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud ofsatalitegirl has much to be proud of

Mood
Woof

Hey
We are trying to get a dogsitter for friday, when me and boyf are at work, however my main proble is tonight it is 11pm in the evening now (too late to get a collar) and he sleeps on his crate in the kitchen, Im mainly worried about him licking his stitches tonight. The only thing remotely near that we have is a muzzle and Im not happy putting a muzzle on him overnight.
ahhhh help!!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 05:00 PM
VIP Donator

Sydney is a priceless PNP contributorSydney is a priceless PNP contributorSydney is a priceless PNP contributorSydney is a priceless PNP contributorSydney is a priceless PNP contributorSydney is a priceless PNP contributorSydney is a priceless PNP contributorSydney is a priceless PNP contributorSydney is a priceless PNP contributorSydney is a priceless PNP contributorSydney is a priceless PNP contributor

Glad Chewie man is back home!

I would go get an e.collar for him..you can get them at most any pet store for cheap, if not i'm sure your vet would be happy to provide you with one. From personal experience, do not leave him alone with out an e.collar or someone there to watch him..if anything keep him leashed so you can keep an eye on him.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Gold Member

Kaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributor

Mood
Hackles Up

A majority of dogs and bitches seem to cope with being neutered without the need for protecting their stitches. Unless he is fixating on worrying the stitches I wouldn't be too concerned.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:03 PM
The not very bright one.

Mood
Woof

he has only tried twice to lick them, thats been since 4pm and now its 11pm
Old 01-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Ozzy & Jagger Rock!

KatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributorKatzNK9 is a priceless PNP contributor

Mood
Goldens Rule

Do you have any bitter apple? You might want to spray some "in the area" but not directly at the incision area. It might keep him from even getting his nose back in that area.

Thank you for my gorgeous sig, Kimmi!
Photo Gallery Links My Goldens My Birmans

My dogs love everybody! I question that judgment.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Hound lover <3

Sarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributorSarah is a priceless PNP contributor

Mood
Pawsitive

Aw glad all went well during the op! Hopefully if he's not licked them much then he won't be that interested. But you should look at getting a lampshade collar for him tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Mod Squad

~8Paws~ is a priceless PNP contributor~8Paws~ is a priceless PNP contributor~8Paws~ is a priceless PNP contributor~8Paws~ is a priceless PNP contributor~8Paws~ is a priceless PNP contributor~8Paws~ is a priceless PNP contributor~8Paws~ is a priceless PNP contributor~8Paws~ is a priceless PNP contributor~8Paws~ is a priceless PNP contributor~8Paws~ is a priceless PNP contributor~8Paws~ is a priceless PNP contributor

Mood
Busy

Trying to make a make shift one of these......
http://www.petsupplies.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=220104+003

you'll need something stiff to keep Chewies neck from being able to bend...any suggestions?

then wrap with a towel and maybe secure with duct tape or something else.....don't laugh , just trying to help

"Maybe I can't make a difference for all animals but I can make all the difference for some of them"...
Old 01-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Gold Member

Kaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributorKaotic is a priceless PNP contributor

Mood
Hackles Up

Neither of my own two male dogs, nor the last three fosters (two bitches one dog) have required any kind of collar to protect stitches following neutering. A few gentle licks won't harm the stitches, if he cant leave them alone or starts pulling at them you will need to take action. Providing all his meals in stuffed frozen kongs or treat balls for the next couple of days may help to keep him focused on other things.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:19 PM
The not very bright one.

Mood
Woof

cheers Jan that looks cool, will try something to get us through the night, after that we might be fine. (might have to get Neil to take him to petsmart).
He is pretty sleepy now so he might sleep through the night (he usually does anyway)
Thanks so much everyone
Old 01-23-2008, 05:23 PM
VIP Donator

SarahFish has a brilliant futureSarahFish has a brilliant futureSarahFish has a brilliant futureSarahFish has a brilliant futureSarahFish has a brilliant futureSarahFish has a brilliant futureSarahFish has a brilliant futureSarahFish has a brilliant futureSarahFish has a brilliant futureSarahFish has a brilliant futureSarahFish has a brilliant future

Mood
Horse Lover

Actually I was going to suggest that, create a makeshift one, it doesn't have to be perfect, just on the does the job until the morning.
Lui has never been fixed because of him being a show dog and stuff, and Fluffy Bum was before we got him and the last time he had stitches he left them alone because he'd had such a bad few days before hand he didn't care, and we spoiled him rotten for those days.
And yeah, I agree with all the above posters. Distract him with other things so he ignores the stitches for a while.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:27 PM
PNPnut

CountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributorCountryGirl is a priceless PNP contributor

Mood
Amazed

Minsc never bothered his at all. He didn't have stitches though, just glue.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Happy Valentine's Day!

Cricket has much to be proud ofCricket has much to be proud ofCricket has much to be proud ofCricket has much to be proud ofCricket has much to be proud ofCricket has much to be proud ofCricket has much to be proud ofCricket has much to be proud ofCricket has much to be proud ofCricket has much to be proud ofCricket has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic View Post
Neither of my own two male dogs, nor the last three fosters (two bitches one dog) have required any kind of collar to protect stitches following neutering. A few gentle licks won't harm the stitches, if he cant leave them alone or starts pulling at them you will need to take action. Providing all his meals in stuffed frozen kongs or treat balls for the next couple of days may help to keep him focused on other things.
That was a great idea. My girls didn't fuss too much with their stitchings- they only wore the e-collar twice in the entire 10 days and that was just because I was letting them have more free roam and I knew they would get outta my sights ( they get the stitches out tomorrow). They pretty much learned when we said "ah ah" when they would lick that it was not what they were supposed to be doing. I had the E-Collar around pretty much just in case.

For the first 2 days I kept the girls kenneled up with their kongs stuffed of yogurt and treats. It works!

Glad chewie had an uneventful surgery and he can focus more on being a happy pup than a h___y pup :P You fill in the blank with whatever you think goes there CHEERS!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:47 PM
trouble on the poop deck

el_chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupacabra has a reputation beyond repute

Mood
Beer

YAY Chewie's is home! Welcome home buddy!