PDA

View Full Version : How to keep pets away from the Christmas tree

KatzNK9
12-10-2008, 11:09 PM
How to keep pets away from the Christmas tree (http://www.ajc.com/services/content/atlanta-holiday-guide/stories/2008/12/11/pets_christmas_tree.html)

See link for complete article.

Orange you glad?
Cats have an innate dislike for citrus scents. Try putting an orange- or lemon-scented room deodorizer near the tree, even attached to the trunk. Other home remedies that cat owners have tried: clove oil, peppermint oil, Tabasco sauce (for branch nibblers) and black pepper.

Get outta here!

Indoor training mats such as ScatMats use low-power electric pulses similar to static electricity to startle animals and keep them away from areas their owners have deemed verboten.

If zapping isnít your idea of kinder and gentler, the SSSCat is a training device with a motion detector that, when activated, beeps and releases a scentless, ozone-friendly spray from an aerosol can. An adjustable nozzle lets you position the direction of the spray.

Help in a pinch

Here is a low-tech solution that can work for cats and dogs alike, particularly those sensitive to touch: Go to your local carpet or hardware store and buy a length of clear plastic carpet runner ó the kind that has little plastic grippers on the underside. Place the runner wrong side up around the tree; the pointy surface should deter the patter of little paws. (It also works on chairs and couches that you want to declare no-snooze zones.)

Fence me in

Baby gates or exercise pens placed around the tree can keep furry intruders out. Cherrybrook (cherrybrook.com (http://www.cherrybrook.com/), or call 800-524-0820) sells a number of different size pens in gold, silver and black finishes.

If you canít beat Ďem, join Ďem

Just as you would with young children who canít keep their hands to themselves, invest in plastic or nonbreakable ornaments. Position the keepsakes on the highest branches closest to the trunk, or, better yet, pack them away until your critters develop better holiday manners.

olliethemutt
12-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Very nice! We buy unbreakable ornaments and put the valuable ones at the top. It seems to work pretty well!

_EssencE_
12-11-2008, 01:42 AM
Luckily our cats seem to ignore the tree- except for the first day it goes up. Then, Mojo hangs off of it at least once, then she ignores it.

And remember: Tinsel is very dangerous to pets if ingested!

Candice07
12-11-2008, 02:12 AM
Hahahahaha glad my dogs dont mind the xmas tree

Yellow Dog
12-11-2008, 06:27 AM
This is a very informative, helpful post. I agree with the baby gate, although my dad made one that looks like a picket fence that has worked wonders with our dogs. Low hanging ornaments are in tail striking zone, so keep them high! :)

WickedNag
12-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Maybe the rotation helps. Miley loves to chase the light reflections on the walls and floor but totally ignores the tree. <knocks on wood>

Lolly
12-11-2008, 10:33 AM
God ideas I know about the citrus that might help the runner upside down is another good idea...

Lolly
12-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Maybe the rotation helps. Miley loves to chase the light reflections on the walls and floor but totally ignores the tree. <knocks on wood>

I could just imagine Princess on one of those rotating trees do they have a very fast speed.. LOL

el_chupacabra
12-11-2008, 10:36 AM
How to keep pets away from the Christmas tree

Celebrate Hanukkah:72:

WelshCobFanatic
12-11-2008, 10:45 AM
I could just imagine Princess on one of those rotating trees do they have a very fast speed.. LOL

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: That give me a very funny image...*cough*...I mean...Lolly thats so cruel!

:bowrofl: :bowrofl:

*runs off to funny vid thread*

WickedNag
12-11-2008, 11:20 AM

:doh: :bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

Lolly
12-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Celebrate Hanukkah:72::bowrofl::bowrofl:

montanagal
12-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Those are some good tips. Thanks for the share, Katz. :)

KatzNK9
12-11-2008, 12:13 PM

:bowl: Of course! Such a simple solution. :no:

CatsandHamsters
12-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Interesting. I especially agree with the baby gate one.