PDA

View Full Version : How do you stop a dog licking its stitches?

satalitegirl
01-23-2008, 04:55 PM
hey
Chewie made it through his operation (minus his balls, lol) thevet didnt have to dig around much but it did cost a fortune.
He is in pain now as I think the pain killers have worn off
One quesion though.......
we dont have a head bucket (elizabethan collar), and he sleeps in the kitchen, any ideas on what we can do to stop him licking/nibbling his stitching.
Im tempted to make my boyf go off and buy a head bucket, Im just so scared of leaving my poor little man.

KatzNK9
01-23-2008, 04:56 PM
I'd make sure to get a dogsitter to make sure he doesn't mess with his stitches & run off to the nearest pet store to pick one up if at all possible. Do you have somebody who can come sit with him until you return?

satalitegirl
01-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Hey
We are trying to get a dogsitter for friday, when me and boyf are at work, however my main proble is tonight it is 11pm in the evening now (too late to get a collar) and he sleeps on his crate in the kitchen, Im mainly worried about him licking his stitches tonight. The only thing remotely near that we have is a muzzle and Im not happy putting a muzzle on him overnight.
ahhhh help!!!!

Sydney
01-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Glad Chewie man is back home!

I would go get an e.collar for him..you can get them at most any pet store for cheap, if not i'm sure your vet would be happy to provide you with one. From personal experience, do not leave him alone with out an e.collar or someone there to watch him..if anything keep him leashed so you can keep an eye on him.

Kaotic
01-23-2008, 05:01 PM
A majority of dogs and bitches seem to cope with being neutered without the need for protecting their stitches. Unless he is fixating on worrying the stitches I wouldn't be too concerned.

satalitegirl
01-23-2008, 05:03 PM
he has only tried twice to lick them, thats been since 4pm and now its 11pm

KatzNK9
01-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Do you have any bitter apple? You might want to spray some "in the area" but not directly at the incision area. It might keep him from even getting his nose back in that area.

Sarah
01-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Aw glad all went well during the op! Hopefully if he's not licked them much then he won't be that interested. But you should look at getting a lampshade collar for him tomorrow.

~8Paws~
01-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Trying to make a make shift one of these......
http://www.petsupplies.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=220104+003 (http://www.petsupplies.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=220104+003)

you'll need something stiff to keep Chewies neck from being able to bend...any suggestions?

then wrap with a towel and maybe secure with duct tape :D or something else.....don't laugh , just trying to help :p

Kaotic
01-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Neither of my own two male dogs, nor the last three fosters (two bitches one dog) have required any kind of collar to protect stitches following neutering. A few gentle licks won't harm the stitches, if he cant leave them alone or starts pulling at them you will need to take action. Providing all his meals in stuffed frozen kongs or treat balls for the next couple of days may help to keep him focused on other things.

satalitegirl
01-23-2008, 05:19 PM
cheers Jan that looks cool, will try something to get us through the night, after that we might be fine. (might have to get Neil to take him to petsmart).
He is pretty sleepy now so he might sleep through the night (he usually does anyway)
Thanks so much everyone

SarahFish
01-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Actually I was going to suggest that, create a makeshift one, it doesn't have to be perfect, just on the does the job until the morning.
Lui has never been fixed because of him being a show dog and stuff, and Fluffy Bum was before we got him and the last time he had stitches he left them alone because he'd had such a bad few days before hand he didn't care, and we spoiled him rotten for those days.
And yeah, I agree with all the above posters. Distract him with other things so he ignores the stitches for a while.

CountryGirl
01-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Minsc never bothered his at all. He didn't have stitches though, just glue.

Cricket
01-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Neither of my own two male dogs, nor the last three fosters (two bitches one dog) have required any kind of collar to protect stitches following neutering. A few gentle licks won't harm the stitches, if he cant leave them alone or starts pulling at them you will need to take action. Providing all his meals in stuffed frozen kongs or treat balls for the next couple of days may help to keep him focused on other things.

That was a great idea. My girls didn't fuss too much with their stitchings- they only wore the e-collar twice in the entire 10 days and that was just because I was letting them have more free roam and I knew they would get outta my sights ( they get the stitches out tomorrow). They pretty much learned when we said "ah ah" when they would lick that it was not what they were supposed to be doing. I had the E-Collar around pretty much just in case.

For the first 2 days I kept the girls kenneled up with their kongs stuffed of yogurt and treats. It works!

Glad chewie had an uneventful surgery and he can focus more on being a happy pup than a h___y pup :P You fill in the blank with whatever you think goes there :) CHEERS!

el_chupacabra
01-24-2008, 12:47 PM
YAY Chewie's is home! Welcome home buddy!

SmilodonPopulator
01-24-2008, 12:49 PM
lol...

I just now understood that e-collar in this context meant Elizibethan Collar...

I mean... I'm a big electronic-collar supporter... but uh... holy cow.

el_chupacabra
01-24-2008, 12:52 PM
lol...

LMAO

zzzzzzap

ritabooker
01-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Be healed quickly, Chewie.

KatzNK9
01-24-2008, 01:16 PM
How is Chewie today?

lol...

LMAO, Smilo!

Cricket
01-24-2008, 01:23 PM
roflmao smilo!

satalitegirl
01-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Chewie is doing very well, he isnt bothered with his stitches and we have borrowed a Lizzie collar from a friend.
He has just had a session with our friend who is training to be a dog trainer, he embarrassed the hell out of me, lol old habits die hard.
We have tried the collar on and it is so big, I dont know whether to do the crate thing like last night, what does everyone think?

Cricket
01-24-2008, 04:20 PM
it can't hurt. if you're sleeping you can't be keeping an eye on him. I crated the girls every night for the first 5 nights because of the staples

satalitegirl
01-24-2008, 04:43 PM
thats very true cricket, I didnt get much sleep last night because I felt like I had to b watching his every move, that isnt humanly possible, I know, lmfao

KatzNK9
01-24-2008, 05:03 PM
I'd keep him in the crate at night & leave him plenty to keep himself occupied. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Was he relatively happy to be in his crate?

satalitegirl
01-24-2008, 05:08 PM
yeah he is cool as a cucumber in their, its his little snuggly place, lol

el_chupacabra
01-25-2008, 08:05 AM
SG how is Chewie today?

satalitegirl
01-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Chewie is back to his mischeivious self, lol.
The stitches seem fine, and I left loads to occupy him today, he seems happy (althought thats the longest he has been in his crate for, so he was a bit shocked I think)
The only thing is it looks like he has some bruising (it is red) running down the side of his stiches, is this normal for a neutering?
He is at the vets tomorrow, so hopefully everything will be ok (althougth I have to find a bloody taxi company that will take a dog with me, damn not being able to drive, lol)

Harry
01-27-2008, 03:12 AM
Hi, really pleased Chewie is ok!

Nala has some red patches running down the side of hers too which I think is normal. Her vet said there would be some bruising and swelling and it was to be expected.

It sounds like he's ok with his stitches now, another suggestion would be boys small jockey shorts and use the hole for his tail!! :D

Good luck at the vets :)

satalitegirl
01-27-2008, 03:33 AM
hi
Been to the vet with chewie for his check up, sh said everything is fine, we can go back to light exercise now.
It seems to be healing well, we dont have to go back as they are dissolvable stitches, how cool, lol